Please read through the swim levels carefully and sign up for the one that best fits your child's ability. Don't worry too much about making the right choice. Our instructors will know quickly if your child is in the right place or needs to be moved to a different level.
MOMMY & ME
INTRODUCTORY SWIM LESSONS
Age: 6 months - 15 months / no prior skills needed / adult participation required.*
The focus of our first level is familiarizing your baby with being in the water in a way that is relaxing and fun. We introduce them to the fundamentals of our curriculum through very gentle movement and play. If they've already participated in Infant Splash, they should be very ready to become a Heart!
Age: 16 months - 24 months. No prior skills needed. Adult participation required.*
As a sun, your baby will continue to learn through play but will also be exposed to more methodized instruction / skills like assisted kicking, assisted back floats, assisted roll-overs, and assisted submersions. The highlight of this level, for both parent and child, is voluntary submersions.
Age: 24 months - 36 months. No prior skills needed. Adult participation required.*
Our Rainbows are encouraged to be independent and will learn unassisted entry from the pools edge, unassisted rollovers, and unassisted floating, culminating in a combination of the three. Your child will also master kicking, fully submerged, from their instructor to you.
NOVICE SWIM LESSONS
Age: 3 years and older. No prior skills needed. Beginning class for children who did not complete the three previous levels.
This level is almost identical to our Rainbows level except that it's geared towards meeting the needs of older students and a parent / guardian is not required to be in the water with each student.
Age: 3 years and older.
Arrows will be introduced to some of the basics of the freestyle and backstroke techniques, and treading water as a lifesaving skill. This is the first level students begin to consciously pick up a very rudimentary understanding of hydrodynamics and is thus the first level that student's abilities resemble what most people consider "swimming".
- Must be comfortable in the water.
- Must be able to back float independently for 15 seconds.
- Must be able to swim independently for 10 feet.
- Must be able to retrieve items from shallow water (2ft.)
INTERMEDIATE SWIM LESSONS
Age: 4 years and older.
Overall endurance and techniques for both freestyle and backstroke are expanded upon. Side breathing, maintaining a proper body position and a deeper understanding of efficiency are a focus for Bolts.
- Must be able to back float independently for 30 seconds.
- Must be able to swim basic freestyle and backstroke.
- Must be able to swim independently for 20 ft.
- Must be able to retrieve items from deeper water (4 ft.)
Age: 5 years and older.
Sharks have a very strong understanding of how to swim and will learn mastery of rhythmic breathing, seated dives and breakouts at this level. Breaststroke and butterfly are added to their growing skill-set.
- Must be able to swim freestyle with side breathing for 20 ft. or more.
- Must be able to swim backstroke for 20 ft. or more.
- Must be able to swim independently for at least 30 ft.
- Must be able to dive and retrieve items from deeper water (4 ft.)
ADVANCED SWIM LESSONS
Age: 7 years and older.
The focus of Tridents is on learning turns for all of the competitive strokes and mastering the required skills for all of the competitive strokes. Tridents will move on to Royals as very well rounded swimmers.
- Must be able to swim freestyle and backstroke continuously for 5 minutes.
- Must be able to swim basic breaststroke.
- Must be able to breathe rhythmically while swimming.
Age: 8 years and older.
All strokes will be mastered and performed comfortably and continuously without the instructor in the pool. Upon graduation as a Royal, your child will have achieved the highest, most prestigious rank at Beard Swim Co. and acquired all of the necessary skills to join a club team.
- Must be able to swim all four competitive strokes.
- Must be able to swim one of the competitive strokes for 10 minutes or more.
- Must be able to flip turn and open turn.
*Private Lessons do not require parent/guardian participation.